September 29, 2010
I am always at awe when I really take a good look at a Spiders web! Early this morning when I went out to the front yard to straighten up (Josh had left the unwound hose on the front grass along with a watering can and skate board from last night that never got put away.) So we have a tree in the front yard that must be a spider magnet either that or a perfect tree for them to easily spin their webs on because every year around this time there are always a ton of spider webs to be found all over the tree. These webs looked so cool this morning because they were all misted from the morning fog that we had. No spiders were to be found on the webs (which I was kinda hoping to catch at least one mama spidey in a pic, but their webs were really a beautiful sight.) It makes you wonder just how such a little spider can spin those webs all by their little lonesome. Spider webs (them along with pigs at the fair) always bring back memories of my mom when she was raising us as children, one chapter book I vividly remember her reading to us was Charlotte's Web, it has always been one of my favorites! It gets me thinking that maybe I should take the time to read my kids a chapter book. I used to love it when teachers at school would read chapter books to the class as well, now that I think about it the stories and books that were read to me as a child are the ones I remember the most, it probably stems from the fact that I wasn't the best reader as a child so I didn't really enjoy reading books myself. Anyways, to clarify we aren't horrible parents- we DO read to our children at home- we read little books all of the time and the older ones read chapter books on their own of course and I guess the BOM is a chapter book that we read daily- but it's kind of fun to look forward to a good novel like storyline that really draws in all of the kids attention where you take off where you left the day or night before, this might make their required nightly reading a bit easier as well- okay, I've convinced myself-- I need to go check out some good chapter books at the library that will gather the kids attention both the younger and older...I know I've read it with Bre a few years back but maybe we should start off with Charlotte's Web again.
2 comments:
I loved Charlotte's Web too, I remember mom reading it to us on one of our family trips, to keep us quiet in the car. Reading a chapter or two to your kids before they go to bed might make the transition, for them, a little easier too. I loved when mom read books to me!
I am facinated with spider webs--and I actually love spiders! This web looks like the web of a "Cat Spider" --their webs are perfect orbs. One neat thing about them is that they actually remake the web at night--they go to the middle of the web, and with their legs, pull the web in. They actually eat the web as they pull it in--and then they re-weave another. Ours did that every night! It was amazing to watch. I'd watch every night from the back bedroom window--there was a web in the corner of the house where a floodlight was--a good place because of the flying insects that were attracted to the light! It was a perfect spot to obvserve them. It's very interesting to see them 'catch' something, and how they slide right to the place on the web where the insect is, then, using their legs, spin a web around the insect, rotating them as they do it, then they put it on their back and go back to their hiding place, which is not in the orb of the web. They are called cat spiders because the back of their body looks like a cats face, with the two little "ears" sticking up and then a face on it that looks like a cat. We had three and watched them every night! Cole took pictures of them and submitted them for Reflections and won. Then we saw them as they "layed' their egg sacs. They actually carry their egg sacs on their back and then when it hatches, maybe a hundred or so little spiders are still on their back and that's where they carry them for a while. It's pretty fascinating! Anyway, sorry to go on so long, but I am very fond of the spiders and have been quite sad because we don't have any around this year.
Post a Comment