No More A Top of Counter Experiences for Josh

February 16, 2012
 Josh as our independent man frequents getting himself up to the counter top helping himself to washing up at the sink, getting a glass for a drink or in this case just taking a peek at the cake sitting on the cake plate that sat on the upper counter ledge that wraps around our kitchen.  After he had his good look, he had planned to get down from the counter top just as easy as he had climbed up.  We leave a two-step stool in the kitchen so the kids can push it over to the get to the counter height so they can be independent souls as they wish, NOT to stand on climb on top of the counter but to get up to the counter height.  This time since Josh was up looking at the higher counter ledge he took it upon himself to get down over the high GRANITE ledge.  He went down over backwards as he hung his body over the ledge realizing it was a much higher fall down than the lower counter he gave himself a push off only he ducked his head down vs pushing it away from the counter top rim.  It's a rounded rim but it shows how hard his eye lid hit, it instantly cut it open.  I saw the whole thing happen, I was actually sitting in the living room on the phone with primary stuff.  I heard the loud thump and actually thought it was his head that hit, he didn't cry initially just stood there stunned, as he turned around and saw me now standing there, he started to cry so as I was escorting him to the kitchen on my ways to get an ice pack for the bump in reminder efforts of "see what happens when you climb on the counter tops" he looked up at me and the blood had covered his face. Trying to stay calm, I picked Josh up and now laid him on the counter top (yeh' a great place, especially right after I was in the works reminding him to stay off the counter top right?)  I needed to clear the blood to see where it was coming form and how bad it was, after we cleaned it down- I made sure he could see out of his eye and saw that we were indeed headed to the ER.  At this point (not shown in the pictures, those were after he had held a towel on the eye for quite some time.) I could actually see into the cut, it was wide open and it looked pretty deep.  It happened to be a busy day, all of the kids were home from school (we had just got back from a beautiful sun shiney day visit at the park) we had a cousin and two extra friends over so that would be nine children.  Josh actually stayed quite calm until all of the other kids were going crazy scaring him after seeing the cut and blood.  I sent the kids out of the kitchen then I called Matt, had him meet me at the hospital while I had the older kids watch the younger ones back at home.  After we got Josh all checked in and saw that stitches weren't going to work too well on the eyelid that they would use the glue technique, I let Matt take over and headed back home to finish our Monday routine of piano lessons, dance, dinner and FHE.  Josh was a trooper, he is quite a tough little kid- now he's got two black eyes on his record book, let's hope it stays that way.  

No comments: