February 1, 2020
Happy Goal Setting 2020
As a GOAL for the new year, I decided I'd put a bit more effort into a my food preparation...be it a meal, dessert item, appetizer or just a special food planned for my family each month to make it special and fun. I figured what's a better way to bring the family together than FOOD?! I decided to do a themed Sunday meal for the month of January. With the new church time of 9 am for our ward and fam this year, Sunday gave me more time to put a fun twist on and a little extra time, creativity and love towards the fam into play. With January being the The Chinese New Year Holiday, I decided to do a Chinese Food theme. Now note, I can't get too terribly creative in the food dept since we've got many picky eaters in the fam, but I'm gonna do my best on a more basic playing field. These aren't new meals to our fam but they are new recipes for them so I decided to tried them out! I also found some chop-sticks along with some authentic Chinese themed desserts to spice things up to add that special touch of fun. Not so cool or fun that China is going through such an awful sickness epidemic of the Corona virus right now but here's to shining some light on the positive and happy aspects of China in the yummy food area.
Happy Goal Setting 2020
As a GOAL for the new year, I decided I'd put a bit more effort into a my food preparation...be it a meal, dessert item, appetizer or just a special food planned for my family each month to make it special and fun. I figured what's a better way to bring the family together than FOOD?! I decided to do a themed Sunday meal for the month of January. With the new church time of 9 am for our ward and fam this year, Sunday gave me more time to put a fun twist on and a little extra time, creativity and love towards the fam into play. With January being the The Chinese New Year Holiday, I decided to do a Chinese Food theme. Now note, I can't get too terribly creative in the food dept since we've got many picky eaters in the fam, but I'm gonna do my best on a more basic playing field. These aren't new meals to our fam but they are new recipes for them so I decided to tried them out! I also found some chop-sticks along with some authentic Chinese themed desserts to spice things up to add that special touch of fun. Not so cool or fun that China is going through such an awful sickness epidemic of the Corona virus right now but here's to shining some light on the positive and happy aspects of China in the yummy food area.
Spencer took on the role and task of the ORAGAMI KING making a fun place setting for all the family members. Jarom requested the three headed dragon which Spencer whipped out, he's quite talented in the tiny creature making dept.
Can't forget the Egg Rolls.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Sweet and Sour Chicken with crispy chicken, pineapple and bell peppers that tastes just like your favorite takeout place without the food coloring.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 4
Ingredients
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts cut into 1” chunks
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- canola oil for frying
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1” chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1” chunks
- 1/2 yellow onion cut into 1” chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
Instructions
- To make the sauce, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce and garlic into a small bowl.
- Pour enough canola oil into a dutch oven or frying pan that is comes up from the bottom about an inch to an inch and a half.
- Heat the oil on medium high to high heat, you’re looking for the chicken to cook and brown in about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch to a large ziplock bag.
- Add the chicken pieces to the large ziplock bag and shake until all the pieces are well coated.
- Dip the pieces into the egg, then into the flour before adding to the hot oil.
- Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes, until cooked through and crispy.
- Remove to a cookie sheet (no paper towels!) and continue cooking all the chicken pieces.
- When done cooking remove all but a tablespoon of the oil.
- Add the bell peppers, onion and pineapple and cook for 1-2 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Add the sauce back in and stir to coat the pieces and cook for 30 seconds to help the garlic warm through.
- Add the chicken pieces back in and stir until the sauce has thickened and bubbling.
- Serve immediately, with optional garnishes of sesame seeds or green onions.
Fried Rice
This classic fried rice recipe takes leftover white rice and turns it into a delicious dinner with carrots, shrimp, and more!
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time14 minutes
Total Time19 minutes
Servings4 servings
Ingredients
- 3 eggs
- 4 tbsp neutral oil
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 4 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 4 cups cooked leftover rice preferably a day old
- 1 cup cooked baby shrimp thawed from frozen
- salt
Instructions
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl with a tablespoon of water and a pinch of salt (or 1 tsp of soy sauce), until blended.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat, and add the beaten eggs. Let the eggs cook for a couple minutes, not moving the egg around the pan, but just letting it sit until it sets into an omelet.
- Remove the egg to a cutting board, and chop into big pieces.
- Add two tablespoons of oil to the skillet over medium high heat, and add the carrots, peas, and scallions.
- Add 1 tbsp of soy sauce, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the carrots soften slightly.
- Add the leftover rice, and toss around for 1 minute, trying to break up any clumps of rice.
- Add 2 tbsp of soy sauce and the remaining tablespoon of oil, frying and tossing the rice for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, egg, and remaining tablespoon of soy sauce, and toss for 2 more minutes, until the rice looks evenly brown. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment