Have I Done Any Good?
no 223 Brightly
1. Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
[Chorus]
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.
2. There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.
Text and music: Will L. Thompson, 1847–1909, alt., James 1:22, 27, Alma 9:28
This has been one of my favorite hymns ever since I was a young child. It reminds me of my Grandma Noble when I was young visiting her at her ward when I had spent the weekend with her and Grandpa at their home, love the memories. Now that I look back, I didn't really relate the actual words to her as a young child but more that it was a happy song that reminded me of spending time with her. Now that I am a bit older, I see that the words are very fitting to her and her life and Christ like service. I love the lyrics to this hymn, they are just so good and inspiring...makes one want to be a better person.
As much as I love my children and the living and breathing of a full functioning family, chaos and all. I do love the morning hours, the quiet time that where I have a few hours before the day starts- and the children are up, time to collect my thoughts for the day. Scriptures, prayer, exercise, pondering...my favorite spiritual fill comes from reading the thoughts and inspiration that comes from our modern day prophets, church leaders and members through the church magazines.
This morning as I read through the March issue of the Ensign that just arrived this week, I was very inspired by the article of our Prophet Thomas S. Monson. "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?" What an inspiration our prophet is! He says, "Let us ask ourselves the question, Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? What a formula for happiness! What a prescription for contentment, for inner peace...There are hearts to gladden. There are kind words to say. There are gifts to be give. There are deeds to be done. There are souls to be saved. Reading through this article, our prophet dedicates his life to reaching out to the weary, the lonely, the faint hearted. He reminds us to reach out to one another. I love the quote that says, "President Monson does what most people only think about doing." So true!
LDS Artwork by Greg Olsen, all rights reserved.
Very fitting to this article that I read this morning, yesterday- BreAnna and I sat down to take a look at what she can be doing for her Personal Progress in the young womens program and she had decided to focus on the "Good Works" portion for the next little bit. As I helped her decide where to put her efforts into action, she realized there are many around her, her neighbors, friends even teachers at school who could benefit from her reaching out to them with love or to lighten their burdens. She remembered our neighbor down the street is going through cancer right now, another just had surgery and is recovering, then a teacher just had a death in her family and is struggling with health issues herself. At first she was a tad shy/reluctant since she is young and these people aren't her age or she isn't too terribly close to them but I encouraged her that an act of kindness never fails. I told her of a time when I was eight months pregnant and broke my ankle in numerous places needing surgery. I was so touched by a sister in our ward (who I did not even know, we were newer to the ward so I guess I really didn't know anyone in the ward yet) but she stopped by with brownies and a flower. That meant so much to me that some one I didn't even know would care enough to think about me and reach out during a tough time. It was a very heart felt gesture. In other words, little gestures or acts of kindness can go a long way. BreAnna came up with ways on her own that she can reach out to these people around her through acts and service, it will be fun seeing her put these efforts into action. When our family helped some relatives to move at the beginning of the year, in the moving process I read a quote on a vinyl lettered piece that we unpacked, this year I decided to make a conscious effort to put this quote into action "never suppress a generous thought," so true, love that quote! Because really...acts of kindness are just as much if not more for the doer than the receiver, right? I need and depend upon the happiness and blessings that serving others brings into my life and the lives of my family. I am so thankful for the countless examples of good that those around me throughout my life have exemplified, for our dear prophet and his life and for the our ultimate example of goodness and charity our Savior Jesus Christ.

No comments:
Post a Comment