Saturday January 28th, 2012
When we made this butter from heavy whipping cream for the ward pioneer picnic back in July, it sparked an idea for Ellie's Science project this year.
Problem Statement: If shaken in a jar, will cold refrigerated cream or warmer room temperature cream turn into butter first?
Hypothesis: If shaken in a jar, then I predict that the warmer room temperature cream will turn into butter before the cold cream because along with the motion of the shaking, the butter also needs to get warm before it turns into butter.
Conclusion: After doing my experiment, I accept my hypothesis that if cream is shaken in a jar then warmer room temperature cream will turn into butter first in comparison to refrigerated cream because along with the motion of the shaking the creams temperature needs to get warmer before it can turn into butter. In conducting my experiment all three times, each time in the shaking process the room temperature cream turn into butter first.
In shaking the jars, the little fat and protein globs in the cream hit each other and stick together, forming a larger and larger glob which was butter. I learned that the temperature and motion (energy) create a chemical change that turns cream (a liquid) into butter (a solid.) I think I will make my own butter like this again because it tastes yummy and creamy and it’s a more soft and like whipped butter, you can even add salt if you like your butter salted. You should try it too!


The Science fair was last Thursday and both Ellie and her friend Ava were recognized as two of the finalists from their grade asked to the District science fair in a week, good job Ellie.
No comments:
Post a Comment